If you would like to join in on the “Weekly Tummy Tuesday blog hop”, please use the above link. You can post anything about food: a restaurant review, a recipe, food photography, a funny food quote, a food song, an essay on food — anything food-related.
Start the Day with Vegetables or Fruit.
Vegetables are healthy and a great meal to have anytime of the day, many are having vegetable for breakfast, by having smoothies, but it’s always nice to sit down and eat breakfast instead of having it on the run.
Here’s a couple of fast veggie meals for breakfast, not smoothies, but a Microwave Cooked breakfast in less than half a hour. In fact you can make both meals within the half hour.
Who ever thought of a breakfast and vegetables?
Back in the 1940’s my mother always cooked sausages and last night’s leftover vegetables called “bubble and squeak” for breakfast after our porridge.
I hope these recipes I have selected, make a great meal to start your day with.
Have a happy microwave veggie or fruit breakfast (which ever way you consider rhubarb is very nice and one of my favourites with my morning cereal.
What’s for Breakfast? – Vegetables or Fruit
Try tomatoes, while tips for preparation are everywhere it doesn’t take a expert to make a meal for breakfast of tomatoes or mushrooms, the recipes below, make a tasty quick breakfast and are yummy.
Tomatoes on Toast for Breakfast
- 2 tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dessert spoon butter
- pinch of sugar
- Slice tomatoes and place with remaining ingredients into a small micro proof casserole dish and cover.
- Cook on high 2 minutes.
- Serve on toast.
Savory Tomato Cups
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- garlic salt
- 1/2 cup mushrooms – finely chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 4 poached eggs
- Cut tops off tomatoes and scoop out pulp.
- Sprinkle the cups with garlic salt and pepper.
- Layer mushroom, cheese and egg, in each tomato cup.
- Arrange on plate and cover with glad wrap.
- Cook on high 4 minutes in Microwave.
- Nice to eat with buttered toast for breakfast or potato cakes or hash browns
- Tip: Do not discard tomato pulp, it may be used in other vegetable dishes such as soup, pasta, pizza, and even a toasted sandwich.
- Cover and store in refrigerator until required.
Are Mushrooms Vegetables?
Mushrooms are unique in that they are neither a vegetable or a fruit, technically they are not even a plant, they are a fungi.
Do Vegetarians eat Mushrooms?
Most vegetarians and vegans consider eating mushrooms to be OK for them.
- 250 grams (1/2 lb.) mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- Peel and slice mushrooms.
- Place in a small micro proof casserole dish with salt and pepper, lemon juice, water and butter.
- Cover. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Blend flour with milk.
- Pour in some hot liquid from mushrooms.
- Combine well and pour into casserole dish.
- Stir all until combined.
- Microwave, uncovered on high a further 2 minutes.
- Stir after completion of cooking, as it will continue cooking in the middle.
- Serve on toast with a cup of coffee or tea.